Thursday, May 27, 2010

Let's talk about... sex, baby! Um, Sex and the City 2, that is!

Last night, I attended the premier of Sex and the City 2, after winning tickets from Kelli. (Thank you!)

SATC2 has received some bad reviews and some so-so reviews. What did I think?

I liked it, and I would tell all my girlfriends to go see it. It's a fun girl movie. It was too long, though - it could have been at least 30 minutes shorter, and the entire wedding scene could have been eliminated from the movie (you'll have to watch the movie to see who got married!) but the characters are just as loveable the second time around on the big screen!

However, Carrie totally irritated me! I don't know why it took this long for me to realize how self-absorbed and whiny she is. I'm not going to give anything away, but she's just not cut out for normal married life! Hey Carrie - you can have all the glamour and fun and still enjoy a night in watching TV sometimes too, you know!

So basically, Charlotte, Miranda, Samantha and Carrie are sort of feeling 'blah' in their lives - with work, children, and the usual day-to-day life events, but guess what? Samantha saves the day! Through her connections she jets the ladies off to an all-expense paid trip to Abu Dhabi. From this point on the movie got good - not as great as the first one, but still, plenty of funny scenes as the ladies experience a totally different culture from the one they are accustomed to. The private plane they were on wasn't too shabby, either!

So how did over-sexed Samantha - and the others - do in the Middle East? This exerpt of a review I read sums it up:

"[Director] King manages to navigate sex and the Middle East, religion, female power in a male-dominated society and conservative values coming face-to-face with New York liberalism, without getting burned at the stake — or incurring an ethnic boycott — and for this, he deserves some credit."

My favourite scene was the one where Miranda and Charlotte have a discussion, over drinks, about their 'bad mom' moments. I bet every single one of us could relate to what they were saying!

For me, Samantha stole the show - with her hot flashes and inability to cover up! Her meonpausal temper tantrums were also hilarious - I love her! Truly, she is my favourite character on the show, along with Charlotte.

So while this move wasn't as good as the first one, it's still pretty awesome!

There is so much more I could say, but I don't want to give too much away - you'll have to see it for yourselves to find out what happens!
What did you think of SATC2?

2 comments:

  1. See and I liked it better than the first movie. I also couldn't believe when it was over, the time flew. I did really enjoy it. I want to fly like the girls did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Samantha too. I'm going to see it (probably on DVD rather than at the theatre), but from all the things I've read, I'm not expecting greatness! I loved the first movie.

    ReplyDelete